Brake query

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
HareLaw

Post by HareLaw »

Mine are significantly worse than that with grey mottled blotches all over and the pads are nearly destroyed as a result. Skoda "escalated" my warranty claim more than a week ago but despite promises to call back and my own subsequent attempts to speak to the lady who first handled my claim, I've heard nothing. S today I've picked up new BREMBO discs and pads on offer for £54 from Eurocarparts whcih should be fitted tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how long they last!

HareLaw

Post by HareLaw »

And still nothing despite promise to phone back two hours ago - not sitting here any longer so here's what's come off the car today

IMG_20220901_140118.jpg

IMG_20220901_140029.jpg

Beaker

Post by Beaker »

I have had the same issue with mine. Car was serviced by a main dealer in February and nothing was mentioned about any corrosion on the rear discs. Yet when I have reviewed the VHC video you can clearly see pitting and grooves.

Roll on a few months I started to get a slight noise, nothing unusual I thought as discs can form a layer of rust or even brake dust that can cause a slight noise.

Then in December something drastic happened when I braked. I got what felt like the ABS kicking in as the brake pedal was shaking, not all the time but on occasions.

Took my car into another garage and they condemned the rear disc and pads, saying they had crumbled. Not due to wear and tear but poor quality of the discs.

Took my complaint to Skoda UK as I had to pay for the repairs which I feel justified should have been rectified under the manufacturers warranty, the car still has a year left.

I am still awaiting a response to this outcome as I feel it is a product defect that could be affecting lots of Skoda owners who are firstly unaware of what could be happening to there rear brakes and secondly could be out of pocket through no fault of their own.

IMG_20221212_143537902_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221212_143354634_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221212_143618195.jpg

IMG_20221212_143430570_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221212_143512461.jpg

rear disc os feb2022.PNG

rear disc ns feb2022.PNG

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Visit the dealer armed with all the information on this post. Brakes are not normally cover by manufacturers warranty as it is so susceptible to driver conditions & obviously it’s a wearing item BUT, clearly there is an inherent problem & you need to start demanding some action (because they will fob you off). Insist they put your case to Skoda advising that if you fall to get a positive response you will report it to the motoring ombudsman AND will send copies to all the trade magazines What Car etc.
You will need to be strong & even heavy handed. If service dept are obstructive demand to see Service manager, then sales manager then Dealer general manager. Take it from someone who spent 35yrs dealing with vehicle manufacturers.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

As a long shot, contact “Honest John”. He was a motoring corespondent on one of the big national newspapers, Telegraph I think. He built up an excellent reputation so eventually set up his own site on the internet covering many products not just motoring. He may not have any info on the problem but 1, will advise how to proceed & 2, it will be useful for his own data.
Also Skoda will be aware of this issue but deny it profusely.
Allesandu

Post by Allesandu »

Hi there.
Did anyone replace OEM/Skoda pads/discs on Kamiq?
Could You share information:
- which make of pads\discs was chosen
- new experience
- some photos
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Harelaw…is there an update on your brake problem. Interested to know the outcome particularly if you had any liaison with Skoda
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Anyone experienced this issue I had yesterday. 1st thing in the morning could not get any response from my touch screen. Wanted to switch on my heated screen to clear frost, pressed menu button on lower control panel which brought up heater/air con controls but nothing reacted to touches went back to main screen showing all the different options radio/navigation/car/media/phone etc etc. no reaction from any icon touched. Tried to swipe screen to left, nothing. Traveled 4 miles to my store spent 30mins parked. Came back to car all working as normal. Rather puzzled I know it was cold -4oC but no problems early December when experiencing-9.
Sorry posted on this topic, can’t get to select new topic (getting help from admin)
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Long hold on physical power button does essentially the same thing as turning the whole car off for a few minutes. The SE's Bolero is buggy as heck, so got the whole family trained in "on the fly" reset. Doubt any of the other infotainment options are fundamentally much better.

Generally found the electronics above averagely troublesome in colder weather when more likely to be a voltage drop, depending on journey profile.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Thanks for that DTEG, great to see a post on the forum, thought it had died. Should have thought of powering it off the back on again. Will try that if it happens again. Mine is the SEL so maybe slightly different than the SE.
Sadly car reaches 3yrs old end of the month. Contemplated long & hard weather to replace it but with only 8k on the clock, decided to stick with it. Local dealer bombarded me with reminders mot plus service due £294 !!!!. plus warranty want me to extend.
Saw advert Cazoo mot £19.99 (but only if done with service) but small service is £88. Daughter used them 2 months ago …very happy so mine is booked in later this month. Did change my Pollen filter (diy) last week….piece of p***. Euro car parts £21 but on eBay £11 & that’s genuine Bosch

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post