Do I buy a kamiq or a puma

New to the Skoda Kamiq Forums? Introduce yourself here
BeeBee3

Post by BeeBee3 »

If it's between a Kamiq or a Puma, I'd go Skoda every time. Having owned a 2013 Focus Ecoboost for 4 years a while back, I thought the build quality was frankly shoddy. I've owned 4 Skodas since 2001, when I bought one of the first Fabia Estates, so I'm a tiny bit biased. I took a test drive in a used 9000 mile Kamiq 1.0 SE-L yesterday afternoon, and was surprised just how good it was. I was so impressed I bought it. I must confess to having a just the odd reservation about the 1.0's ability to cope with long-ish motorway trips, but having seen a few favourable comments here, I now know it'll be fine. I retire in just a month or so anyway, so shan't be doing too much motorway driving anymore. I was really impressed with the satnav and infotainment screen in the SE-L. I've not had satnav in any of my cars previously. I got what I felt was a cracking deal from my dealer, who offered me £10200 for my 2015 Golf Match 1.4DSG (34000 miles). They also added a 2 year warranty, plus 2 year's free servicing, breakdown cover, and 2 free MOT tests.....

DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Good call BB3. The 110 1.0 engine is an absolute cracker, responsive enough at all speeds and quite capable of munching the motorway miles at 60+ MPG. The passenger space is class-leading. Our only grumbles are a few trim rattles (which you might avoid with the SE-L trim) and obviously our fuel pump going pop the other day but that just seemed to be rotten luck and although a couple of others have mentioned similar issues the nature of internet forums means they get rather exaggerated. I'm taking my dealer's word for it that it was very rare.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021
BeeBee3

Post by BeeBee3 »

Hi DTEG

Given that the 1.0 litre unit is used in Skodas, Audis, VW's and Seats, if it were a relatively common issue then we'd surely hear about more instances of it (fingers crossed). I was looking for a newer replacement for my 8 year old 30k mile Golf Match 1.4 DSG, and liked the look of the Kamiq. I took a 20 mile trip to my closest Skoda dealer to see what they had in stock, and almost got sidetracked by a 27k mile 2020 Octavia 1.5 Tsi DSG estate, in SE Drive spec. However, I resisted, trying to avoid a vehicle that was larger than I actually needed. It was then I spotted this Kamiq 1.0 SE-L 6 speed manual - which I'm ok with. The test drive reeled me in, and I happily took the deal they came up with, which seemed excellent to me. The Kamiq does feel like the newer design over my 2015 Golf, in that it felt a tad lighter to drive, with excellent feel through the steering, and brakes that could pull an ocean liner up.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

I doubt the fuel pump issue was particularly related to the specific engine, probably the same one used not just across the whole group but for all engines, so yes, would expect to hear a lot more horror stories if we weren't just unlucky.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Totally support DTEG comments, Think the 1 ltr is a cracking engine. Had my Kamiq over 3 yrs now. Performed well over all terrains with excellent fuel consumption. Remember it comes from a good stable.
BeeBee3

Post by BeeBee3 »

Hi DTEG

I've had my Kamiq SE-L for just over a week now, and sadly I can report that I also have trim squeaks and buzzes. They're not horrendous, but I was quite surprised to hear them after several years with my Golf, which didn't have any even at 8 years old. The Kamiq certainly looks to be assembled solidly enough, but the trim creaks are there non the less. I never had any with the two Octavia's I had a few years back. Slightly disappointing, but I do like the car. I'm pleased with the way the 1.0 litre pulls. I'm slightly miffed that the torch in the boot was deleted in 2020 though.....
Ali748

Post by Ali748 »

Definitely looking towards a kamiq now,as prices are f getting alot more affordable,not sure when I will be able to afford one though
BeeBee3

Post by BeeBee3 »

Further to my post of July the 4th, I may have found the source of the squeaks and creaks I occasionally keep hearing. Having now had my Kamiq for a Month or so, I've given it it's first interior clean, during which I discovered loose trim panels on the B pillar (the one directly over the front passenger's left shoulder. Both the top and lower trim panel are ill fitting and loose-ish. The lower panel tries to "click" back into place when gently eased, but refuses to stay there once released. The white coloured top section seems to be fitted a little better, but still is not tightly tucked behind the front and rear door seals like the opposite side is... I feel a visit to the dealer coming on......
Ali748

Post by Ali748 »

The kamiq is getting better value for money now,the facelift is a nice subtle change which up dates it nicely but not shout about it,Skoda have always been like that with facelifts more evolutionary,unlike ford where a update is shoved in your face and pisses the people who have bought an old model,saying that my fiesta has just bee facelifted and has exited production now,I went to have a look at the last fiesta with the intention of trading mine in,however I look on the drivers arm rest and no folding mirrors and no option of a sunroof as mine is a 2018 car and has both,also ford are making you pay for everything now,its like the top puma you have to pay extra for the glass roof where as the kamiq Monte carlo its standard,once ,upon a time fords motto was ford gives you more,but not now,Skoda seems to be doing that now,I am starting to see more kamiqs on the road now which is a good thing,
BeeBee3

Post by BeeBee3 »

It transpired the little squeaks and creaks in my 2021 Kamiq SE-L were coming from the centre armrest. I could have sworn blind they sounded like they were coming from the far side of the front passenger seat. Lifting the centre armrest up just a fraction, stops the trim squeaks. I'll take a closer look at why it's doing this in a week or so, once I retire from work.....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post