Trim panel clips

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Hello. I think I have finally diagnosed a long-term trim rattle issue, down to a missing metal clip behind the passenger side dashboard end plate. My dealer is being singularly unhelpful, so giving consideration to replacing it myself. If anyone is brave enough to remove their corresponding end plate, please are you able to confirm the size of the metal clip(s) used to keep the plastic pegs in place? I can see from Amazon, eBay etc listings (e.g. www.amazon.co.uk/JenNiFer-Metal-Lining- ... B07H7K2TJR) that there are a couple of different sizes used on VAG vehicles, of which I'd imagine it's the smaller "B" type:

51O1j65J+5L._AC_.jpg

Thanks, if anyone can help confirm!
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021

old man

Post by old man »

Whilst I understand the need to get your rattle fixed, I doubt anyone (myself included) would be willing to take trims off just to answer your question. Why can't you remove your own end plate ?
You are letting your dealer rule you and as your car is only 9 months old and is still under guarantee, you should take the car to them and demand that they fix it - it's your right.
The longer you leave it, the more opportunity you give the dealer to claim it's a wear and tear item and isn't now under guarantee.
At the very least, get to speak to the stores person and get them to identify the part you want on their computer system - it shouldn't take more than a few minutes unless they're incompetent.

If you try self repairing and you break something whilst doing it, the dealer won't touch it after that.
Do you have another dealer in your vicinity ?
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Fair comments - though I'd add that I can't tell what size something should be if it isn't there! I just believe some people had removed them for wiring in stuff. I'll nag a little harder at the dealer, sadly our other "local" one is a Lookers who we intentionally avoided after previous bad experience. Ain't going anywhere unnecessarily for a few days in any case.....
Last edited by DTEG on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

OK, finally getting some sense out of them. Awaiting a call back.

[Update 29/9/2021: they're very grovelingly trying to fit it in tomorrow]
Last edited by DTEG on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franko

Post by Franko »

I have a slight rattle on my trim, and a Intermittent crackly rear speaker, car is 4 weeks old, Kamiq Monte Carlo 1.5 DSG.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

One of the points I have noticed that seems susceptible to rattles probably by bad design is around the infotainment console. Gently pushing or pulling on the corner of the unit can diminish some vibrations.

But if the speaker's crackling too, get it back in the shop as soon as you can.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

So the latest episode is that after four hours in the shop, they've put in the missing clip so the end plate at least stays in place, but although they thought they'd fixed the rattle with that and a full rebuild of the dash and road test, it only took two minutes on road myself to prove otherwise. Suspecting the end plate might not be on as snug as it should be, so raised that with them as a follow-up. Just feels a rather wasted day.
Sparkybruce

Post by Sparkybruce »

Sorry to hear that.
I now think most of my current creaks are coming from the passenger side of the silver main dash trim piece. So pressing on that near the passenger air vent appears to stop the noise.
My car has the accent lighting option so I'm not sure if that extra stuff might be causing the issue.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Bit simpler on our stock SE, but it has to be said that even the SE's trim seems "over complex". It's lovely having the soft touch materials, but how much time do we actually spend touching our dashboards to truly care, when every separate bit means more joints to potentially creak? My in-laws' Aygo is the diametric opposite, single-piece hard plastics throughout, simply nothing that even can potentially rattle other than Grandma's trolley coin stash.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Latest is that they took it in again. I showed them the still loose panel, though could not convincingly demonstrate the rattle on our short test drive. However they've put some double sided tape in there and although it's not completely snug it seems to have eliminated/damped most of the movement, and the rattling is much diminished.