Sill protection covers/kick plates.

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

Lofty wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:50 pm Let me know how you get on, could be interested 👍
Hi Lofty, here's an update; I've had no reply from the seller in Portugal. I really can't be doing with procrastinators, so I've given up on him, which is possibly a mistake as I once did the same with a seller in Spain and he replied 2 weeks later.
Moving on, after more searching for something similar to your carbon sticky tape, I came across this for the sills
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251280218491 ... qCEALw_wcB

As you'll see, it comes in different colour and widths, so I messaged the seller to ask it it would follow the contours of the door sill as our sills are like a double sill. They assure me that it will, although they did suggest that vinyl tape would do the job, but I fancied the blue colour so I've ordered a length of 60mm X 1000mm to see how it goes. It was only £6, so not much lost if it doesn't work. I'm dubious about my applications skills as I always seem to mess up with sticky stuff !
If it works I will order more because I've only ordered enough for one sill.

Because this will be a relatively cheap solution if it works, against my better judgement (pricewise) I've ordered a stainless bumper guard .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373542554224 ... %3A2334524

They come in both shiny and brushed steel (I opted for brushed) and the reason I went for this is because it has a lip that goes over the rearmost edge of the bumper and offers better protection than those that just stick on top of the bumper - I hope.
I'll let you know if they've worked after they arrive.

old man

Post by old man »

I only ordered the blue tape yesterday and it arrived today so I thought I'd have a go at fitting it.
It went on pretty easily, although it may have been stretchier than normal due to the ambient temp.
Anyway, I'm quite pleased with it and I'm going to order more for the other door. I think ordering the 100mm width might have been a step too far in trying to cover both levels of steps with one piece and I'm happy with two strips.
The angle of my photo makes it look like I started sticking the strip from two different points, but I didn't and they are level.

I obviously at this stage have no idea about the longevity of this tape.

old man

Post by old man »

Boot lip cover arrived and fitted today. I felt that the edges that may come into contact with the paintwork had been cut with a guillotine or similar and weren't as smooth as I'd like, so I gently filed off the roughness with a fine file.
Protector fitted on well and easily and I think it looks good.

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Have to say old ‘man’ I really do like the sill you’ve fitted. Think it looks really professional. Will think about removing my tape & purchasing one myself. Let us know if it remains fixed well (my only concern when using adhesive tape).👍
old man

Post by old man »

Thanks Lofty, I'm pleased with it and apart from filing the edges ( which was an easy job) fitment was easy too.
You could wait a long time before I tell you the the thing is still stuck, so based on the fact the adhesive was really sticky and it's designed for outdoor automotive use, Id crack on and get one if you like the result. At the end of the day £41 isn't the end of the world and personally, if it became unstuck I'd apply the double sided sticky used for number plates and reapply it.
I had to get personal plates off of my wifes 11 year old car recently which had been affixed using that and it was a pig to remove.
old man

Post by old man »

Thought I'd better add this as a warning to anyone thinking of buying the carbon style tape I've shown above.
As I said, I was very pleased with the blue I received and it's a great match for the car colour, so I ordered more for the other door.
The seller only shows one shade of blue on his site, so when the tape arrived I cut it into the two lengths required and, took it out to the car and I'd stuck the first piece on before I realised that the shade was different !!

I've just sent a complaint, so I'll be interested to hear what they say.
DENEM

Post by DENEM »

Check eBay item number:184692789527
which is a set of four sill protector for less than £30.00

Skoda have a chrome rear bumper protector, but you need to be very careful when handling and fitting it. Looks very good on my white Kamiq
for photo see eBay item number:265208823868 (comes from Germany, but is also available in the UK)
old man

Post by old man »

The sill protectors look good, except there's only one per door. My pics show that each door has a double stepped sill so the covers don't give full protection.
E Bay doesn't recognize the second part number you gave, why don't you paste and copy a link from the actual E Bay page ?