Automatic gearbox fault with Hendy Skoda Bournemouth

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
Beaves85

Post by Beaves85 »

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar fault with their Kamiq.

My Grandad purchased the car new from Hendy Skoda Bournemouth in May and it's been problematic from day one. On collection the vehicle had a deep scratch on the rear bumper but the main issue has been with the automatic gearbox.

It is the 1.0tsi SEL and after a few days my grandad had fault codes on the media system saying there was a vehicle report, and the vehicle needed to be put in P and please report to the workshop. It would not let him lock the car.

The vehicle was reviewed when they looked at the scratch and confirmed the gear selector was faulty so this was replaced. After a week or so my grandad had the same error code when he tried to park the vehicle, "vehicle not in P, please visit workshop."

My Grandad then asked to reject the vehicle as it was faulty and their repair clearly had not worked. Fast forward a few weeks and many painful emails to Skoda Bournemouth, they have undertaken diagnostics and said that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. They attribute the issue to "driver error".

The sales manager confirmed a recent technical services bulletin (TSB) was released that confirmed the vehicle needed to be shut down in a specific way. In their words:

This fault code occurs when the driver puts the gearstick into neutral before switching the ignition off. In doing this the gearbox control module goes into sleep mode and then wont recognise the lever being moved into park. This then stops the car from locking.

Skoda have a technical service bulletin relating to this issue which states the correct process according to the handbook. This is as follows;

Keep brake pedal depressed
Secure vehicle with parking brake
Press button in the selector lever and set it to P position
Turn off engine

I know the above isn't hard, but my grandad is 80 years old and if he pulls up at some lights, or stops at the side of the road and wants to put the vehicle into neutral, he should be able to without causing some gearbox fault when he comes to parking the vehicle.

This essentially renders the Neutral position unuseable!

I believe the gearbox/TCU is faulty as i've driven many autos where you can put the selector in neutral when ever you see fit and there's no subsequent issues.

Skoda Bournemouth have declined to accept his rejection saying there's nothing wrong with it and it's his driver error. The service from hendy skoda has been abysmal throughout and we're now left with what we feel is a faulty vehicle, but Skoda believe is perfectly fine.

For a TSB to have been released i wondered if anyone else has heard of or experienced this issue as we're now looking to take matters further to have the rejection accepted as my Grandad doesn't want the car.

Also i appreciate this is a skoda forum but based on my experience of speaking to VWFS, Skoda UK and Hendy Skoda, I would discourage anyone from using their services as no one takes ownership and we have been passed around so many different departments it is beyond a joke. No one seems to know how to handle a vehicle rejection and not once has anyone apologised to my Grandad or offered him a courtesy car while this was being investigated!

Any help or experience anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Sorry to hear of your (grandads) problem but this forum is for situations like this & I hope other members will offer suggestions.
I will admit I ALWAYS put the selector in P befor switching off. I certainly would not go to neutral then switch it off & would think this would be deemed not good practice. I select N neutral numerous times mainly when I know I’m going to be stationary for a lengthy time.eg waiting at roadworks traffic lights which can be considerable & I’ve never had any problems & was similar action on my previous car a merc with the DCT auto box.
You could try the ombudsman or if he took finance, contact them (finance co) for help. Biggest impact would be if he stopped paying the finance BUT do tell them why.
A long shot, try “Honest John” he’s a guy who’s built a fantastic reputation for giving sound intelligent & unbiased advise. Can be found on the Internet.
Do keep the forum posted of your progress. Good luck
Beaves85

Post by Beaves85 »

Thank you, Hendy Skoda have said they will do another test as they've been unable to replicate the fault. This is only because i have logged a case with the motor Ombudsmen and also look to arrange for an independent vehicle engineer to test the vehicle and gearbox.

I wait to see what outcome there is of this extra testing.

Just to clarify, he isn't trying to turn the vehicle off in Neutral. As you say, he might use Neutral while at traffic lights or parked for a moment with the engine running etc but when he comes to the end of his drive, he slows the vehicle to a stop, he then moves the selector from D straight into P. It is then he gets the warning signs on the digital dash and central screen.

These warnings advise "place vehicle into P and to visit workshop." Despite the selector being in P.

This doesn't happen on every drive but more often than not, bearing in mind the vehicle has only done c.250 miles!

Skodas response was "This fault code occurs when the driver puts the gearstick into neutral before switching the ignition off. In doing this the gearbox control module goes into sleep mode and then wont recognise the lever being moved into park. This then stops the car from locking."

He isn't, but even if he was trying to turn the vehicle off in N, it shouldn't cause this problem. He may be 80 but he knows how to drive and has driven HGVs for many years.

Hopefully the fault materialises for them and we can see some common sense that this vehicle has an inherent gearbox problem. I shall update on any outcomes.

Thank you
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Yes, then he’s driving it perfectly normal, using neutral when stationary with the engine still running for a limited period of time & going from whatever gear he’s in to P when he’s looking to switch off. Clearly that isn’t happening & already having had the module replaced once I’d tell them to stick it. Tell them you’ve been on the forum & other owners with the DSG box don’t get warning messages when carrying out identical procedures 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Beaves85....How is it going with the gearbox problem. Any progress??
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Beaves85.
Is it possible for you to give an update. It’s news like this that makes the forum interesting.
This forum is extremely poorly subscribed too & unless support improves I can see it folding. I accept the Kamiq is not the most popular car but it doesn’t have to be just problems. Even the “snow foam” wash would have been interesting & informative.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Beaves85
You said you would update us on the outcome of your grandads gearbox problem. As mine is an auto I’m keen to hear how it went with the dealer/Skoda. As it’s over a month since your last post I’m sure there has been some progress???

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post