Wheel bolt covers

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
marineboy

Post by marineboy »

I’m spending a day or two having a good look round my new Kamiq with 18in Vega alloys. I have the steel spare wheel so one of the first things I checked out was the ease of getting a wheel off. What I usually do with my cars is ditch the supplied wheel brace (which is way too short for my puny frame to budge most bolts) and carry a torque wrench with a long socket which provides the necessary leverage. However, I never got as far as removing a wheel because it took me about 10 minutes to get one bolt cover off. The gap between the supplied hooky tool and the edge of the cover is very small and there is very little purchase that the tool can get on the cover. So you have to work around the circumference of the cover gradually loosening it bit by bit and trying not the scratch the inside of the bolt recess. I can’t imagine a mechanic in a tyre depot taking the care I did.

My last car, a Golf, had covers with a hole in the centre, so you just inserted the hooky tool and it exerted equal pressure around the cover and it popped straight off. So I’m thinking of drilling holes in my covers. Any thoughts?
Nick M
2022 Kamiq SEL Executive 1.5 DSG

marineboy

Post by marineboy »

Just seen this which looks like a good solution
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2292589010?iid=154887165907
Nick M
2022 Kamiq SEL Executive 1.5 DSG
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

marineboy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:34 am Just seen this which looks like a good solution
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2292589010?iid=154887165907
I bought one of those or similar, works fine. I assumed there was one supplied and the tyre place I went to when I caught a nail in the first few miles of owning the Kamiq had lost it, but seems like perhaps there never was one supplied despite there being the correct recess (per our Yeti, which had one) in the toolkit to store it. The wire hook thing is indeed hopeless.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post