What a plonker

The place to discuss everything else..
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Having had my Kamiq since March 1st, this last week was the first time I found the car to be “iced up” in the morning. The heated screen quickly clear the front glass but as I drove off I switched on the rear screen mainly as the wing mirrors were iced up. After 5/10 mins the rear screen was clear but nothing on the wing mirrors. I’m thinking, are they wired up, have the correct glass been fitted? & thinking I’ll have to live with this until I can get to the dealer some time in December (god willing). Sat down in the evening decided to browse my handbook app on my pad but couldn’t find anything obvious. Decided to get the handbook from my office & within a few minutes identified that they are switched on by the mirror adjusters on the door armrest control. The control adjusts o/s & n/s mirrors plus operates the electric folding PLUS one setting is the heater position....what a plonker 🤫 but in my defence, I had 5 new cars since I retired plus app 10-12 new company cars over previous years. Every single one had the heated wing mirrors linked to the heated rear screen, presumably because they both need to switch off after a set time. Not an excuse but helps my defence 🤔🤔🤔😄😄😄

Ant

Post by Ant »

This is a VW thing I think. I had the exact same door mirror control switch on my 07 plate Golf and I could never understand why they didn’t just use the heated rear window switch for the heated mirrors like most other manufacturers do. I believe that the mirrors in the Skoda / other VWs are on a timer as well which is good because I regularly forgot to switch the mirror heater off in the Golf and with no timer, it could have been on every time I used the car for months!
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Useful info Ant, thanks. Does anyone else know of a manufacturer that DOESN'T use the rear screen heater combined with heating the wing mirrors?.