Dead battery

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
Leacam2406

Post by Leacam2406 »

I am new to the forum and i have 20 plate skoda kamiq 1.5 petrol which quad only purchased 01/10 but in the last 5 weeks the battery keeps dying. I have had the technicians out from assist and they have told me the alternator is defective. The garage now has my car and they are adamant that the dash cam has knackered the battery.
I have spoken 2 3 different mechanics and an auto electrician who have all told me this is nonsense. They said even if I left my camera on for 3 days, I'd i drive the car it would recharge the battery.
Has anyone else had this problem. I am waiting on a manager from skoda phoning as the garage manager is useless

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Dash cam at fault, B*****ks they don’t know what they’re on about. I assume it’s wired from a supply that’s only live when the ignition is on. I have a Nextbase camera that was professionally installed. The feed is taken from the supply - drivers side down below the steering column. Technician said “VW group used to have the feed on passenger side (n/s) again down under glove box.”
Even if you had a permanent live feed, the power taken is absolutely minimal & would not flatten the battery in such a short time.
Simple solution, disconnect the camera for a week.
Leacam2406

Post by Leacam2406 »

I have disconnected it as it is a live feed constantly . Strangely skoda keep it live. I have had a technician out and he told me the alternator is he problem.
They are disputing their own tech and saying he isnt qualified. I have spoke to skoda customer sevice who assure me they are and I am awaiting a call from a manager.
Even if I left a camera plugged in for 2 days it would only mean I need to run the car to recharge a battery surely?
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I’m puzzled at your comment “Skoda keep it live” I had my camera fitted by an experienced tech who fits lots of dash cams. I went back to him as he fitted in my previous car & did an excellent job. He ordered the Nextbase kits for the Kamiq & I can assure you he said straight away “that’s unusual VW group have always had the feed under the passenger side glove box but this Kamiq takes it from the fuse feeds on the underside of the drivers side” he needed to remove the small coin box to gain access. The kits allows it to piggyback another feed THAT ONLY BECOMES LIVE WHEN THE IGNITION IS SWITCHED ON.
I hate taking the feed from the cigarette lighter (correctly known as a 12v socket now) surely no one would want the camera live & recording overnight
Leacam2406

Post by Leacam2406 »

I have mine plugged into the cigarette lighter part but when I realised this is live all the time I now have to take the canker out before i leave my car so that it is not running all the time.
I had this camera in my old focus, connected the exact same way and never had problem as when I switched off the car the 12v plug would switch off too.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Leacam2496
Any update on you battery problem ?.
Info could be useful for other members

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post