Tyre pressures

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
marineboy

Post by marineboy »

The info on tyre pressures inside the fuel filler flap says that the tyres on my Kamiq should be 2.5 bar which equates to 36psi (unladen). However, I’ve looked at a number of tyre websites and for my specific vehicle every single one says 30psi. This is a significant difference. Any opinions as to the right answer?
Nick M
2022 Kamiq SEL Executive 1.5 DSG

Chiguy

Post by Chiguy »

That is a bit of a conundrum! Like you I checked for the correct recommended tyre pressure on line, and as you say it indicates 30psi on all those (5) sites that I looked at, so I went with that and have been running at that for a year I have had the car with no problem or visible adverse effect on tyre wear. Coincidently, the pressures when I bought the car from a Skoda franchise were set at 30psi, and they had been using it as a "staff" car for 6 months! That said, the sticker inside the fuel flap, like yours, indicates 2.5 bar (36 psi) so I'm not sure where that leaves the issue, but personally I am going to stick with the 30psi unless I notice some detrimental effects.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

I note the spare states 4.2 bar in the filler cover!
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021
marineboy

Post by marineboy »

That’s really useful info Chiguy! 36 does seem excessive to me, going to 30 will improve the ride quality and possibly noise also. Your real world experience over a year is very helpful, so I’ll go with that. Thanks.

Re the skinny spare, I seem to recall that in my Golf the psi also seemed high, presumably to compensate for the tyre’s greatly reduced overall volume.
Nick M
2022 Kamiq SEL Executive 1.5 DSG
Chiguy

Post by Chiguy »

No problem. As far as the spare is concerned mine is a 195/55 R16 although all the vehicle tyres are 205/55 R17, but I keep it at approx 30 psi also. I don't see any logic in having it at 4.2 bar (60psi) just for temporary usage.
Chiguy

Post by Chiguy »

This "spare wheel" issue is becoming stranger and stranger the more I check ! In previous Post I said mine was a 195/55 R16 TYRE. In fact on rechecking I find it is a Goodyear 195/60 R16 ! Also, in moulded small print on the tyre wall it states " MOUNT ON 18 INCH RIM APPROVED FOR RADIAL TIRES. DO NOT MOUNT ON 16.5 INCH RIM ". and low and behold on measuring it, the spare rim is a 18 inch !
Question - why mount an R16 tyre on an 18 inch rim. Second question - Is there some obscure reasoning for inflating it to Skoda recommended 60 psi given the disparity in tyre/ rim size ? ( Can't see why but who knows) - Anyone any ideas ?
Chiguy

Post by Chiguy »

Queried the above with Goodyear (spare is a Goodyear !) According to them, it is not unusual to fit an R16 ytyre to an 18 inch rim for use as a spare (only) . The overall external diameter of an R16 tyre on an 18 inch rim will be approx. the same as for a R18 tyre on same so should not be an issue, and concerning the higher pressure for the spare as Skoda indicate, is to do with the "load index" (not sure what that is !) being lower on a 16 inch tyre compared to larger, hence the higher pressure to match the load bearing requirement.
Gortex

Post by Gortex »

I have my Kamiq 18” tyres at 32psi for the last two years with no issues.
Don1950

Post by Don1950 »

This is a bit worrying regarding tyre pressure.

When I collected my car from the dealer 2 weeks ago they'd set the pressures at 39 psi - I thought the rude was far too firm.

I reduced them to 36 as per the recommendation but the ride still doesn't feel right.

My Golf was 30 psi and both cars weigh about the same.

36 does feel excessive so I'm going to reduce mine to 32 for the long drive down to Switzerland this morning
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Give us your feedback after the journey & what you will set it at thereafter

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post