Kamiq wheel & tyre diameters

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
willi

Post by willi »

My Kamiq SEL has 215/45/18 tyres fitted - QUESTION - if I fit 215/50/18 tyres will it fail an MOT.
Thank you
willi

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

YES !!! provided the test examiner picks it up & in my experience that may not happen.
Nevertheless, never a good idea to run different size tyres. If I could pick one up for a bargain price & use it as a spare on a “Get me home basis” then that would be acceptable
willi

Post by willi »

Hi Lofty - thanks for your response - I've just been to an MOT centre and a separate Tyre garage and both have confirmed that its OK to fit 4off
215/50/18 in place of existing 4off 215/45/18.
I shall go to different MOT centre this week and make doubly sure.
Thanks
willi
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I think you’re better off with going to 55 as against 45. 45 is a very low profile tyre normally associated with performance cars. They don’t give a particularly good ride but as we all know will corner very well as there’s very little side movement in the wall of the tyre.
18 “ is the diameter of the wheel & these DEFINITELY cannot be mixed. It is generally felt that the larger diameter wheels give a smoother ride but as some motoring correspondents will say this is not always the case. 215 is the width of the tyre & with higher numbers means more rubber on the road = better grip (but more expensive 😂😂)
willi

Post by willi »

Hi Lofty - I 've just come back from my second MOT centre, again they have confirmed thats its OK to fit the larger tyres provided they are all the same across both axles - which of course they would be.
I can also go to 55's as opposed to the present 45's - the wheel arch would take the larger tyre but it would put the speedometer out by just over 6%. Given I can't recalibrate the virtual cockpit speedo the sums are - 6% works out @ 31.98mph true speed with a the speedo reading 30mph. This is just about acceptable given the plus margins (read high) built into the speedometer, but with 6% its tight, legally the speedo must never show less than the actual speed.
Thank you
willi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post