Fuel consumption.

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

mattbatts85…
Hope this helps—-Having been on a 40 mile journey today I took the opportunity to take particular notice of the rev’s & gear change…50% dual carriageway 35% A road + urban….. g/change in the early gears 1/2/3 takes place app at 2000rpm, as you move up the numbers the revs drop to app 1800rpm each change. Let me stress at this time, I’m no boy racer. I’m a senior that allows plenty of time for my journeys so my right foot is always ‘steady’. Naturally if one pushes the car with more force then the changes will occur at higher revs. (Manual boxes have fixed ratios & will always be at drivers choice whereas auto boxes are variable due to clutches & bands). At 60mph the revs were 2200 & at 65 it was 2500.. if you feel it’s to early have you tried selecting sport (S) which obviously hangs on to the revs slightly longer/higher, try it for a few days PLUS, has there been a software update on the box ecu. Could you get the dealer to re-program the ecu if no update is due (beware they may want to make a charge but a good dealer should do this under customer support). On idle the revs show 1000 rpm although first thing in the morning this is around 14-1500revs but drops after 1-2 minutes.
See how your car compares, personally I am happy with these figures & don’t consider I have a problem but as I always say, each to their own.

mattbates85

Post by mattbates85 »

Thanks for the reply and information Lofty, I think my main gripe with it is I feel like if I didn’t stick my foot down (my work commute is 40 miles to and from work) the car feels like it’s struggling.

For example going round a round about I have no idea why it would think to change up from 4th to 5th doing around 39 mph the struggle to pull away to my exit.

I do feel that if the ratio was somewhere between sport and normal drive it would be better.

Maybe it’s just me, but driving along a road doing 35 I don’t believe the car should be in D7

I’ve emailed my local dealership to see if there’s any software update for my cars ecu/gearbox

I’ll let you know how I get on.
old man

Post by old man »

mattbates85 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:59 pm Thanks for the reply and information Lofty, I think my main gripe with it is I feel like if I didn’t stick my foot down (my work commute is 40 miles to and from work) the car feels like it’s struggling.

For example going round a round about I have no idea why it would think to change up from 4th to 5th doing around 39 mph the struggle to pull away to my exit.

I do feel that if the ratio was somewhere between sport and normal drive it would be better.

Maybe it’s just me, but driving along a road doing 35 I don’t believe the car should be in D7

I’ve emailed my local dealership to see if there’s any software update for my cars ecu/gearbox

I’ll let you know how I get on.
You should forget about your previous 1.5 engine, the 1.0 engine is a different beast. If it was the same VW wouldn't need to make two engines. The 1.0 has less power and torque than the 1.5 and therefore its characteristics and the way it should be driven will be different from the 1.5.
My wife has a MK8 Golf with the same 1.5 engine and gearbox as my Kamiq, and whilst very similar to drive, there are subtle differences in the way the engine/gearbox react when driving, so if you thought the 1.0 and the 1.5 would be the same, I'd say you bought the wrong car/engine.
Why not ? The engine/gearbox is programmed to get you into as high a gear as it can as soon as possible to try and make your mpg figures better. You can counter this by using kickdown, sport mode and manual mode if the way the full auto works doesn't please you. The 1.5 won't need as much, or any such interference by dint of its extra power.

I haven't driven the 1.0 version, but comments on these pages and in test drives suggest that people are happy with it. I would think that unless your car does actually have an ECU problem, then the problem is you comparing two different cars and engines.
mattbates85

Post by mattbates85 »

I totally agree with what your saying and yes I guess I brought the car with the wrong engine. I never thought the car would be like my 1.5 golf but I did think it would bring better mpg and I think that’s what’s annoying me most about it, 15 mile drive down the motorway then on to a duel carriage doing a steady 50 to 65 and I can’t get over 45 mpg is shit in my eyes but apart from that I think the car it’s self is great.

Thanks for the input though guys I’ll stop moaning now and just enjoy the car.
mattbates85

Post by mattbates85 »

Thanks lofty, mine is indeed the 110bhp they don’t sell the 115bhp 1.0 now.

Going back to the coasting function, this is something I loved on my previous VW but on my Kamiq it only works every now and then? Shouldn’t it coast every time you take your foot of the accelerator?
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Just a thought mattbates85
You say yours is. 110bhp. Mine is 115. Looking at current spec’s 2019 models have the 115 engine (although I ordered mine 30/12/2019 for 01/03 delivery last year). 2020 models have the 110 engine. Obviously the different power units are likely to have different ECU settings for the DSG. Don’t suppose you’ve ended up with the settings for a 115 power unit. 🤔🤔🤔 A long shot (very) I know but worth asking the question. They should be able to check your build sheet & it’s certainly justification for reprogramming your ECU.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post