Towbars

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
bensethro

Post by bensethro »

Hi all, first post from a recent Skoda Kamiq owner, 21 plate

I'm trying to source a tow bar in the UK, it's only for bike rack so not needing anything special.

I've had some reasonable quotes, but no one seems to be able to source the hardware. Searching around I can't find anything other than the expensive Westfalia one, so I guess its a supply issue. Any one had one fitted in last 6 months?

thanks

old man

Post by old man »

I've done a bit of research on this, but as yet I haven't had one fitted as mine would also be purely for bikes and I'm not sure it's worth the expense.
The first brick wall I hit, was that Skoda states that unless tow bar wiring is factory installed, then a tow bar can't be fitted. This is tosh because there are reputable fitters who will do the job and proper wiring harnesses are available for the Kamiq. I also bought his up with my dealer, who eventually agreed that if I asked them to, they would fit a tow bar, but the price would be £1200 !!

If you have a 1.0 litre engine, you need to speak to your dealer as mine indicated that a tow bar shouldn't/can't be fitted to these cars. I didn't go into detail as I don't have a 1.0 litre model.
I contacted these people https://www.pfjones.co.uk/towbar-fittin ... gKyTPD_BwE who are able to do the job depending on where you live as they have a shortage of fitters. They can supply the necessary kit to do the job for about £370 if you can then find someone to fit it.
I did find a reputable mobile tow bar installer local to me who would do the job using a proper Skoda wiring harness and a removeable hitch for £710. It would be cheaper if generic wiring was used but that could nullify your warranty.

Also,if you decide to get one fitted beware of nose weight, depending on what you intend to carry on it.