Android Auto

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

During all my faffing trying to get map updates to work, I inadvertently got Android Auto working on the infotainment screen.
Google maps come up on screen but I can't currently use them as a sat nav.
What do I need to do to enable that ? I've never used Android Auto before, so this is all new to me.

NeilW

Post by NeilW »

Check your phone's GPS is switched on as Android Auto is only using the screen as a display, the phone is doing the processing.
Had a 2021 1.5 SEL manual with reversing camera and Simply Clever pack in quartz grey. After a number of mostly software issues, it's been replaced with a Kia Soul.
old man

Post by old man »

NeilW wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:08 pm Check your phone's GPS is switched on as Android Auto is only using the screen as a display, the phone is doing the processing.
Thankyou. I'm no technophobe but I think GPs is labelled Location in my phone. I've turned that on and I'm now able to use directions on the phone, but that's not transferring to the car screen where it's just showing a map.
I'm still stuck !!
NeilW

Post by NeilW »

I don't use it a lot. Usually I plug it in and set the route through the screen rather than have it pull from the phone.
To find a route the phone needs to be on the internet, so either WiFi or mobile data. Once the route is set it doesn't need the data, but having it will allow it to monitor the route for traffic issues.
Had a 2021 1.5 SEL manual with reversing camera and Simply Clever pack in quartz grey. After a number of mostly software issues, it's been replaced with a Kia Soul.
old man

Post by old man »

NeilW wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:33 pm I don't use it a lot. Usually I plug it in and set the route through the screen rather than have it pull from the phone.
To find a route the phone needs to be on the internet, so either WiFi or mobile data. Once the route is set it doesn't need the data, but having it will allow it to monitor the route for traffic issues.
Thankyou once again, I'll have a further fiddle tomorrow. :D
old man

Post by old man »

NeilW, thankyou for your instructions, like you I doubt I'll use it much, but if it's there to be used it should work.
I've discovered that if sitting in the car with Google maps on the phone, it's not possible for the phone to work properly whilst it's connected to AA i.e. it won't work as a sat nav. Following your lead though, I gave Google maps on my phone instructions whilst I was still in my house and then when I went out to the car and the phone connected via Bluetooth, the instructions came up on screen.
I assume that if I were in the car with the phone and turned off Bluetooth whilst I instructed the phone, then those instructions would transfer to the car when I reactivated Bluetooth. Didn't think to try it at the time.
Once again, thankyou for taking the time. :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post