Updating the sat nav

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

Anyone done a map update yet ?
I've downloaded the maps from the Skoda portal and transferred them to a flash drive. I then plugged the flash drive into one of the USB C ports, the system knows it's there but it wouldn't let me transfer the maps to the infotainment system.
I've managed it successfully in my previous Kodiaq, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong in the Kamiq - any ideas please.

Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

No idea I'm afraid. Worth having a word with Skoda help.

Let us know how you get on, unless someone comes up with an answer.
Rags
old man

Post by old man »

I have to say that Skoda are simply becoming less clever.

I spoke to the salesman who sold me the car today and whilst he had a glimmer of how it works, he didn't know the full story. I therefore had an online chat with Skoda and the guy there was helpful.

You have to register with Skoda Connect which is free for the first year and payable thereafter, so if you don't pay after the first year, you get no updates. I was already registered from my previous car, although I'd let it lapse, so I reactivated it on my phone and added the Kamiq to it. I then had to take the phone and both sets of keys out to the car to pair the info in the phone to the car following the instructions from the infotainment system.

That was last night and this morning the mapping hadn't updated, which is when I tried the dealer and Skoda chat. Chat line recommended a factory reset and if that didn't work take it to a dealer.

I did the reset, during which I lost my phone connection and all the contacts and the Connect pairing, plus myself as primary user which I'd set up last night.

It took me a long time to get Connect back and reregister myself as primary user, but I got there in the end, except my phone contacts are still in the ether and as yet, maps aren't updating.

I'll leave it for a while now as when I bought the car and paired my phone, it took quite a while for my contacts to migrate, if it doesn't work I'll be taking the car to the dealer.

I don't know how the car gets a connection to be able to to perform auto updates - I assume an embedded sim or a satellite connection.

Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

I read somewhere that the phone contact mirroring can be messed up if you have contacts saved to different places on your phone.
I can't remember which way round it is, but I think it was if they are saved to the phone, rather than the sim, it didn't connect or show.
BUT... It may be the other way around.

HtH.

Rags.
old man

Post by old man »

Further to this, apparently even though I've signed up to Skoda Connect I will receive normal software updates when they're available, but the map updates only become available twice a year, the next one being November, so I'm just going to have to wait until then to see if it works.
old man

Post by old man »

Ragtag wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:38 pm I read somewhere that the phone contact mirroring can be messed up if you have contacts saved to different places on your phone.
I can't remember which way round it is, but I think it was if they are saved to the phone, rather than the sim, it didn't connect or show.
BUT... It may be the other way around.

HtH.

Rags.
Got this sorted eventually, My wifes phone paired easily and contacts appeared as well. It turned out to be a glitch with my phone, maybe because it had an update recently.
REDKAMIQ

Post by REDKAMIQ »

Hİ all,

whem th System tries to switch on the bluetooth, Mult. screen is switch of (restart) itself. Is there anyone see something like that. Salesman(Service Staff) check the car during 2 days and updated all the system bıth ecu and Multimedia but the problem goes on... :(
old man

Post by old man »

To finish this off, as well as trying to update my maps, I've also been trying to do the same in my wifes MK8 VW Golf. I had a conversation with the aftersales manager of a VW dealer, who sent me an email with drawings detailing how it should be done. I'd already tried he method in both cars and it didn't work (this is downloading from a portal and then onto a memory media). The instructions stated that there's an SD card slot in the Golf - THERE IS NOT !

Long story short - the Kamiq and the Golf 8 have an embedded e sim, so that when the owner registers with Skoda Connect and VW We Connect, updates come to the car automatically. I believe that standard updates can come at any time and will give notification on the infotainment screen and ask you if you want to proceed. Map updates are issued twice yearly, normally June/July and November and I assume will either come up on screen and ask if you want to proceed, or maybe they do it in the background - yet to be discovered.
I'd jumped through so many hoops to get to this stage, I really couldn't be bothered to ask any more questions.
So assuming your infotainment system is working as it should - they can be glitchy - then all updates should come directly to it.