Ride of new Kamiq harder than expected

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
peterhiscox

Post by peterhiscox »

Hi Guys, I have just bought a new 1.5 TSI SE L DSG Kamiq and have found the ride harder than expected. It has a Mode switch which is in normal and 18" wheels. Unfortunately my wife has joint problems and bone grafts in her neck and on the first trip to the hospital found it an uncomfortable ride. This has not happened on my previous cars and it looks like an expensive mistake if there is no solution. Is ECO mode any better, will smaller wheels make much difference or do we have to trade it in and move on?

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

You have my sympathy mate. I remember reading a review on the Kamiq (one of many in the car magazines) where the ride on the 18” wheels was described as “slightly harsh”
I have the SEL with 18” standard & will admit to not finding the ride to bad but perhaps if I drove a Kamiq with 17” wheels I may have a different opinion. I don’t have the ride mode option (car 16 months old) so can’t comment.
Would there be any merit going back to the dealer with cap in hand (looking for the sympathy vote). You could look at changing the wheels for 17” but this may be prohibitive (even if possible) as things like speedo would need to be recalibrated.
Me ?. I’d be going back to dealer with the begging bowl before you put too many miles on the clock. If the dealer involves Skoda UK they may also help (I was aware of a manufacture supplying a car at cost to the dealer for a disgruntled customer 🤞)
old man

Post by old man »

I have the same car, but without the ride modes. I've just come from a Kodiaq on 19" wheels and I find the Kamiq ride perfectly acceptable. Did you not have a test drive before buying ?
A simple thing but often forgotten, have you checked your tyre pressures. My first ( new ) Skoda came from the garage with a hideously hard ride and when I checked the tyres, they were several pounds over the recommended pressures. Perhaps try running with the lowest recommended pressures i.e. comfort mode.
A cheaper way of alleviating your problem is to change the tyres completely e.g. Michelin all season tyres have a reputation for having a very compliant ride.
I suppose it all depends on your wifes problem and what she can cope with.
old man

Post by old man »

Michelin all season tyres have a reputation for having a very compliant ride.
I should add that the tyres I referred to are actually called Michelin Cross Climates and when I say a cheaper solution, I meant cheaper that changing the car.

There are several other makes of All Season Tyres on the market now, but I don't know how compliant the ride is on any of those. The Michelins have been documented by Honest John and several members on UK Skoda forums as having a more compliant ride than those they replaced.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

peterhiscox
Have you had chance to deal with the harsh ride or are/have you decided to change the car. Interested to know how you got on.
old man

Post by old man »

Lofty wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:52 pm peterhiscox
Have you had chance to deal with the harsh ride or are/have you decided to change the car. Interested to know how you got on.
Ditto.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post