DSG Coasting Off

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
Speug

Post by Speug »

Last week I traded in my 2016 Yeti L&K DSG for a near new Kamiq 1.5 SE L DSG and have been unable to discover where the Coasting function is in menu in order to turn it off . The complex Owner's manual doesn't mention it and I would find it useful if someone would tell me where it is or tell me it is not available. What I have found is that Coasting only occurs when "D" selected and Coasting is off when "S" is selected using the DSG lever.
The Yeti was a easy tick box in the menu.

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I’m not sure you can turn it off. Had my Kamiq for over a year now & I'm puzzled as to why you would want to turn it off ?. I see it as a great aid to improving fuel consumption. I think it’s a brilliant feature so am I missing something. Do let us/me know Speug as I’m really baffled by your request.
By the way, welcome to the forum. All posts welcome.
Speug

Post by Speug »

Lofty thanks for your response . Since I posted I have verified with my Skoda garage that disabling Coasting is not an option on my 1.5 TSI SE L version, because it does not have a Mode button beside the DSG gear lever. Using the "S" selection on the DSG lever is the only way of disabling it.
You ask why ? Because of feeling of loss of control. I am from a generation of driver who use the accelerator to control the speed of the car, with minimal use of the brakes. With a scenario of driving gradually downhill in a line of cars whose varying speed is circa 50mph, I find myself having to use the brakes and then the accelerator alternately to keep the right distance from the car in front.
While I agree that Coasting could improve the mpg, in practice you will only make a marginal improvement on the normal fuel shut off valve which operates when you take your foot of the accelerator. Also you will pay for the extra mpg you get by having more wear and tear on the brakes and the DSG gearbox which needs to change each time from the gear selected to an effective neutral position and back again. It would nice to have the choice as I had on my Yeti.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Take on board your comments & agree “it’s always better to have the choice” . I also agree on brake wear but also being of an older generation (very much in my senior years) I like to think I’m pretty good at reading the road so sympathetic to brake wear. My last car 6.5 yrs old .... original tyres & over 50% left on brake pads. I also compare it to my last car with the DCT auto box that did give brake assist down hill when at times you didn’t want it. Interesting anyway.
Matchbox

Post by Matchbox »

I’ve had 2 VAG cars with dsg and each had manual option by moving selector to the right and using fore and aft movement to change up and down manually. I assume Kamiq is the same(?)in which case you can select a lower gear to slow car on descents.
Speug

Post by Speug »

Matchbox - sorrry I may have given the wrong impression . I was talking about gentle gradients sloping downwards maybe 1 in 50 - where nobody would engage a manually selected gear, using either D or S instead. Yes my DSG box is like all the others and has a D position, a S position and a manual selection. I like DSG boxes and this is my 4th vehicle with it having had 4 in the last 15 years a VW Golf Plus, a Skoda Fabia, a Skoda Yeti and now a Kamiq
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Speug...we’re all your DSG boxes trouble free ?. My understanding is that the dsg is a dry clutch & is more susceptible to wear than a wet clutch (I’ll stand corrected ?) . With an average of nearly 4 years with each vehicle what sort of mileage did you cover.
Speug

Post by Speug »

Lofty - Never had any trouble with any of DSG boxes , but I have bought all vehicles with low milages and done roughly 10K miles a year. There are wet and dry clutches used and I have read that the Kamiq 1.5TSI engine mates with a 7 speed wet clutch . My first car the VW Golf Plus 2L diesel had a 6 speed wet clutch and I did 70K miles in that car. The 2011 Skoda Fabia 1.2TSI DSG had a 7 speed dry clutch and the 2016 Yeti 2L diesel had a 6 speed DSG wet clutch . The Fabia was my wife's car, while I had BMW X1 with 8 speed ZF auto box . While there was nothing wrong with the BMW gearbox I didn't like it, as I found the gear changes too seamless and I like know what gear I am in and I returned to the VW group DSG camp when we rationalised to having one car.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Interesting & reassuring. Thanks for the info.