Two months in with Kamiq SE

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Just over two months into owning a Kamiq SE from new. Loving the growl and response from the 3-pot 1.0L 110PS (or is it 115PS, insurer hadn't heard of the 110 but said 5PS difference was close enough, and I believe both fall into the same IG anyway) though economy round town isn't as good as the 1.2 Yeti it replaced, and electronics seem... well, interesting. At least now I think debugged the cruise control that would fault out half the time unless kept physically switched off when not in use, but still getting pretty random behaviour from the Bolero head unit, including verbal diarrhoea with (distracting) privacy warnings and other glitches and oddities I'm keeping my dealer informed about. Software version 1233 on hardware 040, does anyone have anything newer?

Main physical grumble with the Kamiq SE is with the insane analogue speedometer design. I am used to Skoda speedos not having numbers for 30, 50 or 70, but the SE speedo doesn't even have marks for these key legal speeds in the UK. Instead it bizarrely has 20mph markings subdivided into 5, so there are only marks at all for 20, 24, 28, 32, 36 and 40mph, for instance. Thankfully there's the digital speedo option on the Maxidot, but I am very surprised this ever made it past QC or vehicle inspectorate. The cynic in me says it's an upsell for the full-digital dash of the SE-L, but my dealer didn't try it on so all it really does is suggest incompetence somewhere in the design process and a recall in store.

Just want the chance to drive it a bit further, to form some real opinions on it as a driver's car! Not disappointed mechanically or performance-wise yet, though, and it certainly feels like a lot more of a car than a jacked up Fabia, which was how my dealer essentially described it before launch. I know the Karoq is the "official" Yeti replacement, but in many ways the Kamiq fills that role, certainly in all the ways that should matter to us in practice.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021

DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Five months in now, nothing much negative really to add. Mechanically still quite happy. Electronics seem more stable in the warmer weather, I think previously a combination of the cold and typically shorter lockdown journeys hammering the battery and the electronics not coping well with sub-optimal voltages. A few creaks and rattles that I sadly suspect are rather part and parcel of a budget motor, possibly more so in hotter weather suggesting trim expansion. Nice to have got wireless Android Auto with recent updates to phone, though it's still a bit temperamental, and generally more reliable with the USB cable which obviously keeps the phone charged too. Longer runs, getting up to 60mpg out of the 1.0l 110, though still a bit disappointing round town. With our first ever passengers outside the immediate family the other day, three sat in the back without any complaint about space, and still plenty of poke with a full load, especially in that feisty second gear.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Glad you are still enjoying the car. Had ours six months now (SEL 110) and still love it.
As you say, It's a lot more stable electrics wise now it's warmed up, No strange messages or glitches on the head unit.

Just out of interest, What Android is your phone running at? I'm on Android 10, but my phone won't connect unless via the cable ( which I don't really mind).

We are off on a long run Sunday, so I'm hoping for some great MPG figures.
Rags.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Rags
Just completed my first decent run. 200 mile round trip 65% motorway 20% rural/urban & 15% dual carriageway (approx obviously)
Set c/c on motorway & would emphasise I’m no speeder.
65 mpg on motorway & climbing (with a/c on) & overall average 62.mpg round trip.
2 adults + 2 small suitcases. This was car computer readings so allow minus 5% (manufacturers optimism in my opinion.)
Mileage to low for tank to tank which again in my opinion is the only accurate way to calculate mpg.
Car spec……SEL with dsg - 115bhp/85kw.
Manufacturers claim EC combined 57.5mpg so not to far away.
I’m more than happy with that. Previous car at 125bhp (heavier car so similar power/weight ratio) would just about hit 50mpg (& that’s on a good day) over same terrain.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

That's great.
We are off Sunday for a trip to Northumberland, so I'll check my consumption then.
Luckily, we are in the lower grad of risk area of Lancashire, so still allowed to travel ( having done self tests as well).

Rags
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Ragtag wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm Just out of interest, What Android is your phone running at? I'm on Android 10, but my phone won't connect unless via the cable ( which I don't really mind).
I gained the (patchy) wireless Android Auto capability with Android 11 which finally came through for my Samsung Galaxy A40 a couple of months ago. I believe that is the official line, that it was previously only on very select handsets but hit mainstream with Android 11. If I want a reliable connection I still use the cable - got a nice set of three USB-C/USB-C leads, using the tiniest (30cm?) one for Android Auto and charging, longer ones if a passenger wishes to browse on the go.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post