Head Restraints

All Skoda Kamiq related discussions
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hi

Does anyone know if the head restraints can be removed in the Kamiq? I bought some 2.4m (that’s 8 feet in old money) long timber today and in previous cars, I’ve simply removed the head restraints on the passenger side seats, dropped the back seat back rest forward and the front passenger seat back rest backwards (try saying that quickly!) which then can be covered with a tarp or blanket for long load carrying area. This all worked fine today in my Kamiq except I wasn’t able to remove either the front or rear head restraints. Am I missing something? (pressing the button on the side of the front head restraint appears to allow it to be moved up and down but not removed)

Fortunately, the timber I had wasn’t very wide so it fitted to one side of the head restraint. I don’t carry loads like this often but the front passenger seat head restraint remaining in place is a big obstacle to ultimate practicality.

NeilW

Post by NeilW »

This came up on the SEAT Ateca forum a while ago. Both the Ateca and Kamiq use variants of the MQB chassis and both are built in Skoda factories. The Ateca has a very well hidden release mechanism.
https://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3988
There's a YouTube clip on there which might help.
Had a 2021 1.5 SEL manual with reversing camera and Simply Clever pack in quartz grey. After a number of mostly software issues, it's been replaced with a Kia Soul.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Interesting info.
I hadn't even thought about not being able to remove the head restraints, but now I'll see if I can find said button.
Thanks.

Rags.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Very useful information, good contribution to the forum
Ant

Post by Ant »

Neil

Thanks so much for this explanation. I would never have worked this out without that information. Bizarrely, a quick glance in the manual under ‘head restraints’ or ‘seats’ makes no mention of this (I looked before I posted the question).

I can confirm that the button in the back of the seat is there, (on the passenger side at least, I haven’t checked the drivers side or rear seats yet) about 3.5 inches / 9cm down from the top of the seat. You have to press very firmly and it clicks forward, allowing the head restraint to be removed. Putting it back re-engages the lock.

This is precisely what a car forum is for - thanks again!
NeilW

Post by NeilW »

No problem Ant, glad it's helped.
Had a 2021 1.5 SEL manual with reversing camera and Simply Clever pack in quartz grey. After a number of mostly software issues, it's been replaced with a Kia Soul.
old man

Post by old man »

Haven't tried this in my Kamiq, but my previous Kodiaq had the same mechanism and I can confirm that it's a pain in the rear. The first time I did it, it was relatively easy, but the second time took me ages to get it to release.
I guess there's a reason for this design, but what that is remains a mystery to me.