Dipping my toe

New to the Skoda Kamiq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kamiq-Keith

Post by Kamiq-Keith »

Hi everyone,
I am about to dip my toe into the Skoda car brand after many years of driving Vauxhalls (Current car 1.7 CDTI Astra). The reason for the change is the wife needs an automatic due to mobility problems, I would like any feedback on the automatic transmissions in the Kamiqs as that's the car I have been tempted towards after watching and reading many reviews.
Thanks in advance
Keith

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

When I first drove a car with DCT (duel clutch transmission) I absolutely fell in love with it. It is so smooth compared with your standard auto box. It’s lighter (in weight) takes less power from the engine consequently gives better mpg. On that basis I bought a merc with the DCT transmission (that’s their trade term for the box). I decided to change my car & not wanting another merc I looked at the VW group who use the DSG (their terminology) auto box (direct shift gearing) across their range so it’s the same box in the Audi/vw/seat/Skoda etc so it’s a well used & proven box. I absolutely love the box, it’s much better than the merc, smoother to start with & has the benefit of going into neutral when coasting which means that fuel economy is improved. If you’re accelerating or on overrun it retains the gear but if you’re in between the 2 then it selects neutral. As soon as you brake or accelerate it engages the appropriate gear absolutely seamless. I guarantee that as soon as you drive it you will love it. Yes, a bit more expensive than a manual box but worth every penny & to finish, the Kamiq is a brilliant car so it’s a win win. Do try it & let us know how you get on
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Just to add, I drove my merc for over 6 yrs without any problems.......
Sorry for the omission
Ali748

Post by Ali748 »

Im looking at a kamiq at the moment,due to the awesome value for money and the ability to retro fit stuff after buying the car such as an electric tailgate,back to the value for money,I saw a silver kamiq on sale for £15999 with optional metallic silver,with auto park,adaptive cruise control,rear camera,blis etc,wouldnt get a puma for that,thats the car I had my heart set on,but the are £17500 upward over £18000 with metallic paint,like I said im seriously thinking about going to look at a kamiq,my current car is a fiesta titanium b and o play edition with Comfort pack,adaptive cruise control,panoramic roof etc,I do like the fiesta,but ford are getting so expensive and making you pay for everything
Ali748

Post by Ali748 »

To whom it may concern,I could be looking to buy a kamiq in the next 6 months,but im would be interested in hearing the view of owners,also I like the way you can get an electric tailgate retrofitted
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Read through most of the forum & you will see very positive reviews. 1 criticism recently has identified harsh ride on the 18” wheels although I personally have not noticed this (I have the SEL). Utube has some very good road tests almost everyone very positive.
I’ve had my car 1.0L dsg for 15 months now & absolutely love it (came from merc A class). My local dealer did say recently that supply was a real problem (sales mngr is brother of my son-in-law so accept as genuine) so be prepared to place order early if that’s your choice.
Note a friend who works on reception at a VW dealership said why by a T-roc when you can get the identical car (Kamiq) much cheaper.
Ali748

Post by Ali748 »

It looks a nice car,I definitely need an electric tailgate on acxount of having an arm injury and having to sort shopping out,I had my heart on a puma but they are stupid prices at the moment,I can get a kamiq for almost £2000 less
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Had several options on my vehicle order one being the electric tail gate. Great piece of kit, like it that I can open it from key fob, tail gate button or switch/lever from drivers seat.
Ali748

Post by Ali748 »

Its a great idea,dont know why more cars dont have it,