Hey there

New to the Skoda Kamiq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Needaliftdad

Post by Needaliftdad »

Hi
just found this forum.

Any other Scottish members yet?

Got my Kamiq last week. 1.0 tsi 116 SE in Energy Blue.

This is my 4th Skoda after having a Citigo, Octavia and Fabia.

Have to say that even after less than a week and only 100 or so miles it is the most comfortable and easiest to drive.

Got it on PCH as it was such a great deal. Cannot believe that this type of car is cheaper than virtually everything else, but not complaining!
Could not have afforded it any other way, so thank you Skoda.

Just hope I continue to enjoy it.

Fitted my dashcam this morning - another Skoda where you have to hardwire it due to the live feed from the 12v socket!

Just need to get my spare wheel now and I will be sorted

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Hi Needaliftdad.
Welcome to the forum. As a long-standing Skoda your thoughts & views on the Kamiq would be welcome & informative.
We need new members as the forum is poorly supported so looking forward to hearing from you.
Bobblejack

Post by Bobblejack »

How easy is to fit the dashcam? I've had a look at mine and not too sure how to get the dashboard end panel off. Don't want to start levering things and end up snapping something when there is probably a straightforward way to do it. I'm reasonably confident about connecting it up, just less so about obtaining the access.
Bobblejack

Post by Bobblejack »

.........Oh, forgot to say Hi. Had my Kamiq five days now and, so far, I am really impressed with it. Just hoping the engine/gearbox transmission unit is as reliable as my previous Honda Jazz. Had that for 11 years without any transmission trouble.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Hi Bobblejack….Good to hear from you, new members always welcome, glad first impressions are positive.
I had my dashcam fitted by Halfords (followed a good experience of a fitting on my previous car). The technician took the feed from the lower dash area to the right of the steering wheel, accessed by removing the pull out coin box (this appears to be a change from the traditional fuse box sighting on the Audi/vw group of cars from the extreme left of the lower dash). He brought the feed up via the drivers A post then took it to the centre console tucking it under the headlining. There has been previous threads on this subject so browse through the forum as you may pick up some more useful information.
old man

Post by old man »

Bobblejack wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:10 pm How easy is to fit the dashcam? I've had a look at mine and not too sure how to get the dashboard end panel off. Don't want to start levering things and end up snapping something when there is probably a straightforward way to do it. I'm reasonably confident about connecting it up, just less so about obtaining the access.
There's no need to take anything apart to fit a dash cam. The latest C usb holes and the cigar lighter in the Kamiq don't lend themselves to plugging in a dash cam, so I bought one of these;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124350633669 ... SwKDlf~Q-d
It wasn't this exact one, mine has a switch on the OBD plug so I can switch it off or leave it on when parked in public places. I thought it might foul my feet and be awkward to reach, but it isn't.
It just involves pressing the cable into the head lining and the A pillar trim etc, an easy job and takes about 10 mins, maybe longer if you've never done it before.
If you look at these, make sure it has the correct connector for your dash cam. Mine didn't but a small adaptor fixed that.

P.S. Here's one the same as mine, and cheaper too !!
Bobblejack

Post by Bobblejack »

Thanks, old man, but I was looking to hard wire to the fuse box so I could forget about it, knowing it will switch itself on and off with the ignition. It's a Nextbase 222 dashcam so it's pretty basic; I wouldn't want to forget to switch it off when getting out of the car.
old man

Post by old man »

Bobblejack wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:43 am Thanks, old man, but I was looking to hard wire to the fuse box so I could forget about it, knowing it will switch itself on and off with the ignition. It's a Nextbase 222 dashcam so it's pretty basic; I wouldn't want to forget to switch it off when getting out of the car.
Understood. In the past I've rarely kept my cars long enough to warrant permanent wiring, plus it's an easy job to do myself.
I also understand why you want the dash cam to switch on and off with the ignition as it can flatten the battery if the battery is already low and the car is not being driven (Covid). However, I do forget to switch it off in the Kamiq and thus far it's caused no problems.