Towbar

New to the Skoda Kamiq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Buff

Post by Buff »

Just bought a Kamiq 1.5tsi SE. Dealer stock car and the dealer is fitting a retractable Skoda towbar when they get hold of one. Skoda UK says you can only have a factory fitted one and you can't retrofit. Local towbar fitters will fit a westfalian one cheaper. I can't get a straight answer on warranty issues this may cause. Any one had similar experiences?

Meant to introduce myself first. Greetings everyone. Just bought Kamiq 1.5tsi SE my first Skoda. Previously drove a 1.6tdi golf which I had for 9 years and loved but it was getting long in the tooth as am I! Quite a difference in driving the Kamiq but no problems so far.

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Under warranty terms & conditions, the manufacturer (& its the manufacturer that makes the decision not the dealer) cannot reject a claim/failure where any alterations/additions has no direct connection with the tow bar installation.
For example(s) a starter motor failure could not be rejected, neither could water pump leak, wiper motor, etc etc.
They could reject an electrical failure if there was a cause related to alterations to the wiring.
In short, if the installation is identical to the fitting of the Skoda tow bar, they cannot reject any failure simple because it was not a Skoda tow bar.
Just make sure you do not exceed the towing capacity of the car.
Buff

Post by Buff »

Thanks Lofty, maybe I will go for the westfalian towbar, it would save me a few quid. No issues with the weight, it's only 750 kgs.