Oz Car

New to the Skoda Kamiq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jippy

Post by Jippy »

Paid the deposit and now waiting for my Kamiq to arrive here in Oz (Australia) - mid March they expect. Apparently there was smoke on the ship which had to be diverted to America. Just hope it was not my car that went up in smoke!
For info, the car is the base model here which is fairly well equipped including the digital cockpit screen. Three cylinder 85kw motor (115hp) DSG. Looking forward to getting it!

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Welcome aboard Jippy. I have the 115 engine with the DSG & absolutely love it particularly the fact that it engages neutral when coasting, certainly helps the mpg. Will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts & opinions once you get behind the wheel.
Jippy

Post by Jippy »

Thanks Lofty. I looked at all the reviews and forums such as this one before signing up. Including your comments Lofty giving the pluses and minuses of the car. Much appreciated.
The car drove nicely when I test drove it and and on the second test drive when my wife drove it. Late last year the Kamiq received the Australian (News Corp) car of the year award.
I'll let you how things are once we get it.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Welcome.
Glad you are getting ( eventually) a Kamiq.
Hope you don't wait long. We love our 6 speed manual.

Don't forget the photos when it turns up!
Rags.
Jippy

Post by Jippy »

Finally arrived and picked it up mid week. and love it so far.

Only problem so far was the windscreen wipers shuddering across the windscreen as we drove home in the rain. Its been pouring here for a week with many areas of the east coast of Australia flooding, particularly New South Wales and South East Queensland. What with droughts and bush fires and now flooding we really seem to cop it.

Anyway a quick call to Skoda service revealed the shuddering wipers is not unusual and, as I had guessed, due to insufficient cleaning of the windscreen before handover to the customer. Seems the car receives a sticky wax like protective coating before being shipped out. A good clean with detergent and water fixed the problem without the need to return to the dealer.

I'll give more detailed comments on the car after we have got a few more kilometres (sorry, miles) on the clock. Below, if I have done it right, is a photo of the car when we picked it up. The handover had to be done inside the workshop due to the rain.

Car Photo modified for Kamiqforums.co.uk.JPG

Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Great news Jippy & glad that you’ve been able to sort the wiper judder (a thing I absolutely hate) & yes, we’ve been hearing all about your weather problems over there with the horrendous rain & flooding. We will excuse your kilometre error as we’re getting used to that with the EU 👎🏿😂
A tip I was given many years ago & found useful, when I give the car a “wash & brush up” I always finish by using a small amount of neat washer fluid on a rag/cloth then give the rubber blades a gentle rub up & down. It’s removes any road dirt/grime built up on the wipers.
🌧🌧☔️☔️