Poor Off Road

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
Pubrunner

Post by Pubrunner »

My better half has a Skoda Kamiq (from new), with barely 2,000 miles on the clock.

Today, it exhibited a problem that I can't understand - we were at a country show, parked in a wet field on a slight slope. ALL other cars seemed able to drive out of the field with no problem. The Kamiq dashboard flashed a yellow light - which I believe to be the ASR light.

The car just made a noise, but would not move an inch - my two hefty sons got out of the rear seats and pushed the back of the car, which gave it the helping hand it needed to get out of the field.

Why wouldn't the car move ?
Was the weight of four adults in the car, on a wet and slippery field too much for it ?

I did think the slope shouldn't have been a problem, given that other cars had no problem getting out. The car has good ground clearance (not an issue in this case) but it was embarrassingly bad - other people in the field, were looking over and probably wondering why we couldn't drive out - as all the other cars did.

What is the best way of dealing with a situation like this ? Is this a fault and should we take back to the dealer ?

Chiguy

Post by Chiguy »

At the risk of stating the obvious, from what you say it sounds as if the ASR system was working as it should, and was sensing wheel spin, which as I understand it, is its designed purpose. ASR senses wheel spin via wheel sensors and is controlled via the vehicle electronics which will "adjust" the throttle with the aim of gaining traction at a lower engine RPM etc. It sounds as though you were just in an unfortunate set of circumstance and is not an inherent vehicle problem.
gobiman

Post by gobiman »

I'd agree with that.
The system is designed to avoid wheelspin but can be quite aggressive in intervening.
The drill is to switch if off (there is a button - centre console I think) and be very gentle with the throttle to minimise wheelspin- inducing torque (starting in second can sometimes work).
The issue is not really the car but the tyres lacking grip - they will be road tyres.
I took mine skiing and it went pretty well - but fitted with the best all-season tyres I could find.
If you regularly use the car off-road, that's the way to go.
It cost me just over £200 to swap - roughly £440 for Continental All-seasons and sold the Good Year Eagle set for £220 on ebay.
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

On the SE certainly it's a menu option rather than a button, other trim levels may vary I guess. We had a centre console button on the Yeti SE, rather disappointing to see yet more subsumed into the infotainment rather than immediately accessible. Yet we do get a button to disable stop-start, which is nigh on pointless especially on manual gearbox.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post