Bolero graphics failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Not sure if anyone's reported this before, because the forum won't let me search for "bolero" - too common apparently!

Anyway, this morning all the graphics went AWOL from our Bolero head unit. Only text would appear, no icons, logos, button graphics etc. Several long push resets with the power button, which normally clears the Bolero's quite frequent glitches, did nothing to help. Had to struggle to find the factory reset option, which mercifully did the job, and for once didn't forget my Android Auto setup. Looked for a moment like it had done nothing either, but by the time it had decided to offer the setup wizard again, it seemed to have resolved.

I did ask at service in December whether there were any updates, and was told it was too new... Age should have nothing to do with it, given how buggy it is - and I gather it's a bit of a sticking point with VAG head units in general.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021

DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Had this happen again yesterday evening. It was after I did a long-hold reset to persuade Android Auto to connect wirelessly, which usually does the business. However I had the nipper in the car with me at the time so I wasn't going to get into factory resetting and left it until the morning. By then, needless to say, it was back to working fine without further intervention. Although I had tried turning everything off yesterday, I know there are things in the car electronics that still hum and whir for a couple of minutes after pulling the key, and I guess the infotainment is not really properly powered down until that vehicle shutdown sequence is complete. So yeah, fixed by "turning it off then on again" (as aforementioned nipper learned from Peppa Pig) but not necessarily so obvious when off really is off, and it looks possible such powering down is actually more effectual than the long-hold reset in the first place – though the latter is still useful 90% of the time when trying to get things working and it's not convenient to stop the vehicle completely.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021