Rattle over bumps

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
Dylanditchy

Post by Dylanditchy »

When I go over bumps around my home I am getting a rattle from underneath the car, it also happens sometimes when I take my foot off the accelerator. I am curious if anyone has any idea what this is or if anyone has had this problem before. I have taken it into the technicians twice and they cannot replicate it or find any sort of problem. I will attach some videos for reference.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FxVyL6Lsk-s?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/I2dbAW1hucQ?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/t6zTOSezLPc?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/QdeF6MjUyqk?feature=share

Thanks in advance!

old man

Post by old man »

Your video clips are next to useless, there's too much extraneous noise going on to hear anything else. Has your dealer had the car up on ramp to check for anything loose ?
Do you regularly drive over those speed bumps ? Cars don't take kindly to being driven regularly over speed bumps, especially if you drive to fast. Has anything been hit and loosened by the speed bumps ?
Dylanditchy

Post by Dylanditchy »

Unfortunately I live in a neighbourhood which has a lot of these bumps and it is impossible to avoid them, I have never hit any of these bumps at a speed which would cause damage and the technician has been on several test drives and had it up on the ramps twice, its a 4 month old car and I don't think it should be making a noise so early on in its life
old man

Post by old man »

Dylanditchy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:42 pm Unfortunately I live in a neighbourhood which has a lot of these bumps and it is impossible to avoid them, I have never hit any of these bumps at a speed which would cause damage and the technician has been on several test drives and had it up on the ramps twice, its a 4 month old car and I don't think it should be making a noise so early on in its life

If it's that annoying I'd be trying another dealer. All dealers are not created equal !
CPritchard

Post by CPritchard »

Have you tried the spare wheel and the tool pack in the boot I took mine out and done a test drive noise gone secured spare and tool pack no noise now : :😊
Petewalley

Post by Petewalley »

I had a low speed Raythe on mine (1.5 SEL Auto) It was noticeable under 20 mph, over speed humps and on a rough road. Took a lot of getting to the bottom of but turned out to be the CV joint boot. Apparently they are of a new design. Dealer lubricated it and the rattle disappeared
old man

Post by old man »

Since this thread was started my car has developed an annoying rattle when driving over anything other than smooth surfaces at lowish speeds.
I'm 99% sure that it's inside the car somewhere in front of me, but I can't pinpoint it and it's virtually impossible to put my hand on different things whilst driving.
Is anyone else experiencing interior rattles and if so, have you cured them ?
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

Yes, and no. Every time I think I've isolated the source, it's still there, and my dealer isn't fairing any better. The only one I'm fairly sure about is a slight rattle between the infotainment screen and the dash, alleviated with a bit of foam padding in the gaps.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021
old man

Post by old man »

DTEG wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 pm Yes, and no. Every time I think I've isolated the source, it's still there, and my dealer isn't fairing any better. The only one I'm fairly sure about is a slight rattle between the infotainment screen and the dash, alleviated with a bit of foam padding in the gaps.
I thought initially it was the info screen area, but sticking my fingers in there doesn't stop it.. I know it's always difficult to pinpoint the source of rattles etc, but mine certainly seems to emanating from directly in front of me.
I asked the service manager at my dealer if they'd had any reports of rattles. He said no, but then he hasn't been there long :?
DTEG

Post by DTEG »

The one thing that definitely seemed to improve rattles from that area was wedging a couple of mm of padding under the middle of the lower edge of the infotainment screen, slightly distorting the trim beneath.

Having driven a courtesy Fabia for the day (2.7k on the clock) it was strangely reassuring to hear at least some of the same creaks and clicks, obviously just a bit of a budget Skoda thing with their overcomplex multiple material trims.
Kamiq 1.0 110 SE manual, new since January 2021