Scary incident. Auto Brake.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Had a nasty incident yesterday afternoon. travelling in lane 2 on a NSL duel carriageway, at about 40 mph ( Slowing for an open sweeping roundabout with no traffic on it), another vehicle was in lane 1 about 3 car lengths behind us going considerably slower.
When I was about 50 metres from the junction the hazard avoidance warning came on with the big red triangle, warning sound, and the brakes locked up for a moment causing me to slow down dramatically. then let off as if nothing had happened. The tyres actually skidded for a split second!
Caused Mrs Ragtag to tense up a bit, and me to grab the steering a lot tighter! :o
I have the avoidance settings set to the minimum interaction, and it's never done this before, even in heavier traffic.
It certainly got my heart beating a bit faster, and it's a good job nothing was close behind us.

The only reason I can think of for this happening is that there was Armco barrier on the approach on the centre res, and Armco on the roundabout inner itself, and the car thought it was another vehicle.
I have read of this happening on the Facebook UK group, but most people have has settings set to max.
Anyone else had it happen so severely?

Rags.

NeilW

Post by NeilW »

Had it on the Ateca a few times. Once approaching a roundabout in Stevenage. I was in lane 1 and there was a car in lane 2 waiting to join the roundabout so I assumed it picked that up. I'd also turned down the sensitivity.
Had a 2021 1.5 SEL manual with reversing camera and Simply Clever pack in quartz grey. After a number of mostly software issues, it's been replaced with a Kia Soul.
Connors

Post by Connors »

I've had my Kamiq since April and had this happen to me the other day for the first time. I was driving in relatively slow traffic (approx 15-20mph) and was just at a junction when another car stopped at the junction to my left hand side just as I got there. The other car had stopped correctly and was behind the give way line but it caused the brakes to lock. Gave me a fright and a half !!
Hairless

Post by Hairless »

I believe I had similar event. On narrow road with close hedges. Lorry approaching. I was slowing down to around 30 and slightly turned inwards to leave enough room for passing. Can only think it read the hedge. Is this possible?brakes slammed on and stopped car. Scary
Stub

Post by Stub »

How do you know if your model had this? I have the 1.5ddg monte
NeilW

Post by NeilW »

Stub wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:45 pm How do you know if your model had this? I have the 1.5ddg monte
It's standard equipment across the range and is considered a driver assistance system which helps with the EuroNCAP score.
Had a 2021 1.5 SEL manual with reversing camera and Simply Clever pack in quartz grey. After a number of mostly software issues, it's been replaced with a Kia Soul.
Vanwall010

Post by Vanwall010 »

Hi all,
Unfortunately this is modern vehicles.
They have a limited amount of possible scenarios that is in their coding within the control unit and sensors.
I've had it mine on a roundabout where I was changing lanes. The system thought I was going to crash into the car I was passing!
Don1950

Post by Don1950 »

Hi my red warning light has come on several times when nothing in front.

Just as puzzling my distance warning symbol came in while I was on the motorway with nothing in front but refused to come on when I was testing it by tailgating a friend.

I was told by a franchise that the system has been vigorously tested and that there were no software faults on my car.

Ok so when does the distance warning light actually come on. When you're 1mm away?
Silverjan

Post by Silverjan »

My Kamiq did an automatic emergency stop yesterday. I was travelling through Kidlington about 30 mph with nothing in front of me, when it suddenly slammed on the brakes. I was really shaken, and the driver of the car behind wasn’t too happy either judging by him loudly beeping his horn. I think this is more likely to cause an accident than prevent one. I’m perfectly capable of doing an emergency stop myself if necessary!
Anyone able to advise a new owner how to switch this off?
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Go to menu/settings & ensure sensitivity is set to minimum. I don’t think it a good idea to ‘switch it off’ even if it’s possible which I doubt you can

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post