Dash cam fitting.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

I have quite a good dash cam that I'll be wanting to fit to the car when I pick it up.

I can see that fuse 57 is not used in the internal fuse box, and I intend to hardwire it to this ( if it's the correct free position).

Has anyone got one fitted, and if so what route does the wiring take from the LEFT (passenger side UK) of the rear view mirror?
Many panels to pop, or holes to find for the wire, or anything to be aware of?

If not, I'll do a walkthrough photo run for future users.
Ta.

Rags

Gortex

Post by Gortex »

Hello. I hardwired my Dash cam. Fuse box is on drivers side there is a flap that can be opened on UK cars and the side panel of the dash can be removed to help route wire. I would need to double check but I think fuse 43 as most fuses on the Kamiq stay constantly live.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Thank you, that's super info!
43 it is... When I get it.
Rags.
Gortex

Post by Gortex »

Will try and check it’s 43 over the next few days. But pretty sure it’s the Rear wiper fuse. But I will confirm
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Thank you. That will be super.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Had my Nextbase fitted by Halfords (Paul fitted it to my previous car & I was really pleased with his work).
When doing his ‘survey’ to order the installation kit he expressed surprise that VW group who had always fitted the supply/fuse box on the passenger side on all their RHD model vw/Audi/seat etc.
As Gortex said, he removed the small ‘coin’ box just to the right of the steering column to gain access to the power supply, can’t help with the fuse number but certainly this is the correct supply position.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Thanks.. I've been doing a bit of cheating, and found a fitting guide on a Seat Arona forum ( Its basically the same wire set up on same bodyshell.)
It's advised to fit a hard wire connector adaptor to the 12v Cig lighter line ( position 52 in the fuse box on the Kamiq) and feed the wires up the side plastics along the windscreen line.

When I get it, I'll let you know how I get on!

Rags.
Gortex

Post by Gortex »

Hi guys.

Kamiq is different trust me it’s not fuse 52 this is live all the time on Kamiq. I check this morning for you on my Kamiq it’s fuse 43 as I said before (Rear wiper) it turns of with the key.

289B5660-399D-4559-9FD4-281D9A34D07B.jpeg

0C8680B3-B99D-43D5-9C7F-1542994718AD.jpeg

Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Gortex wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:28 pm Hi guys.

Kamiq is different trust me it’s not fuse 52 this is live all the time on Kamiq. I check this morning for you on my Kamiq it’s fuse 43 as I said before (Rear wiper) it turns of with the key.
That's super thank you Gortex.

Just goes to show doesn't it. I popped into our local Skoda dealer and asked a mechanic, he said they were the same and to look on the Seat or VW forums and also said he thought it was 52. 🙄

I'll definitely fit to fuse 43 as you say.

Just spent a couple of hours taking all the wires fornthe sat have and dash cam out of the QQ. They all went to a 12v socket in the glove box though, so I'll have to get a spade connector fitting for the dash cam.
Thanks.

Rags.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Fitted the dash cam today.
Not counting getting my hand stuck in the fuse box hole, losing my fuse and a small spring clip, and general mutterings about the phone/system update ( see the other post) it took about 30 minutes.
I warmed the cable up on the radiator to make it more flexible before going to the car, started at the left side of the rear view mirror, and using a PLASTIC tool, (it won't mark the fittings) fed the cable towards the right ( fuse box) side.
Pushing the cable into the gap between the centre console holding the rear view mirror and the windscreen, all along the top to the right pillar, then again using the tool, eased the cable inside the plastic pillar cover ( it pulls away easily with gentle easing) down to the dash, all the way down to the joint of the pillar/dash.
In then eased the end cap off the right side of the dashboard ( the bit that is against the door when it's shut).
This involves a bit of tugging after easing the cap away with the plastic tool, I thing there are 4 clips inside and three plastic bumps that fit into a hole in the frame. Mind the little metal spring clips that the plastic poppers fit into don't drop into the inside of the dashboard.... Don't ask how I know, but that's why my hand got stuck!
I then threaded the cable through the end of the dash into the internal fuse box area.
Fastened the earth onto a bolt that fixed to the main metalwork of the frame, and the red live to the appropriate fuse hole in the box.
I had already removed that fuse, and refitted it into the new connector supplied ( it's the same shape as the fuse prongs) that plugs into the fuse space. ( It has 2 fuses in the unit now, one for the dash cam, and the original fuse that I removed from the box). The fuse to use is number 43.. ( handbrake ) the blue one 5th down from the top. It is only live when the car is turned on.

In then tidied up and taped the extra wiring, and taped it up out of the way inside the top of the dash area.

One thing to be noted. The manual says to open the little cubby hole to the right of the steering ( RHD car) and pull towards you to get to the fuses. It doesn't mention that when open, there is a little clip at the very top of the inside of the cubby, if you reach up inside at the centre, and push the plastic up slightly, the whole part drops further down and can be pulled out easily then.
Thanks to Gortex for confirming the correct fuse position and number.

Obviously, these are not a full guide, just my findings and notes, if you are fitting something similar, read your instructions, and if you are not sure, seek expert advice.

Rags.