Dash cam fitting.

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kamiq
gumdrop

Post by gumdrop »

I don't like the piggy back fuse idea too much, so I am looking at a cable on Amazon that uses the OBD port.Its called a Rear Master Universal.
It allows normal ignition off or parking with a set voltage off. Now I need to know what to remove and summon up the bottle to do it.

Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

Can't help you there. Got no idea about that.

Good luck with it.

Rags.
gumdrop

Post by gumdrop »

I bought a rearmaster OBD cable to fit when I get around to it.
It has a parking option and a low voltage off.
old man

Post by old man »

A bit more delving shows that Amazon sell an OBD plug in feed with an inline on/off switch and another with the switch on the OBD plug itself, which if the OBD socket is easily accessible will be the one I'll buy.
I won't have my Kamiq until next week, but hopefully the OBD will be easy to get to and I can fit the cable behind windscreen trims as I have done previously. This will make a much neater job than having the dash cam plugged into the USB C ports on the centre console.
NeilW

Post by NeilW »

Here's how to find the OBD port.

IMG_20210711_101847.jpg

Had a 2021 1.5 SEL manual with reversing camera and Simply Clever pack in quartz grey. After a number of mostly software issues, it's been replaced with a Kia Soul.
old man

Post by old man »

Thankyou, I knew it was up there, but I wonder if it's accessible for an older less flexible person to reach the switch on the OBD plug.
Hoping to pick the car up on Friday, so I'll soon find out.
Ragtag

Post by Ragtag »

I just knelt down at the side of the car with the door open, and it's easy to reach. Has a pinky/mauve coloured edge.
Don't forget to remove the plug before it goes in for service. My experience of 'Dealer maintenance engineers' is that if something strange is plugged in, they use it as an excuse to dot do all of the job!

* Edit. Just watched the video about the OBD power. It seems a lot of faffing instead of just fitting an in-line, piggyback fuse attachment. ( That the vid doesn't mention.)
But if that's what you need and want, good on you for finding an alternative and letting others know.

Rags
old man

Post by old man »

For info, I bought and fitted one of these
I thought it may protrude too much from the OBD port and get knocked when entering the car, but it doesn't. It's constantly live, but has an easy to reach off switch on it and claims to have a low voltage cut out.
Make sure it has the right USB on the other end to fit your dash cam. It doesn't for mine ( my fault!), so I need a small adaptor which is on it's way - good old Amazon.
Exkiwi

Post by Exkiwi »

Just a hint. When fitting an Addafuse as in the photo of the fusebox, make sure it is the correct way around otherwise the power is going through the original fuse before getting to the secondary one (Not good)

addafuse correct.jpg

Dr Kam

Post by Dr Kam »

The cigarette lighter outlet always has power. Why not plug it into there?